Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Polka Dot Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Polka dot tea party; that's the week 11 inspiration challenge at the Shabby Tea Room!  You have to make a project that incorporates polka dots or tea party or both. Of course I immediately thought of Alice in Wonderland! I have been a huge fan of all things Alice for many years, and have an enormous collection of Alice in Wonderland stamps in the classical style of the original illustrations. So it seems suitable that I am also using this week's sketch (Chapter 14 challenge) from the Oh Alice blog.

Photobucket
I had a large solid image teapot stamp, and I wanted to put the Mad Hatter's tea party image "inside" it. After all, putting the whole tea party into the teapot seems like a very "Alice" thing to do!!  I stamped the tea party image and colored it in with Copic markers.  Then I inked up the solid teapot stamp with clear Versamark, and used the "rock & roll" technique to add gray ink just around the edges, the top of the lid, and all of the spout. Using a stamp positioner, I centered it over my tea party image, stamped, and heat embossed it with clear detail powder.  I am really happy with how it came out, as I wasn't sure if the idea in my head would work!

I stamped the fan of cards twice in red, and used medium and fine point black pens to add outlines. I stamped the card suits, outlined the red suits with a black pen, and I fussy-cut all of them out.

I stamped the large polka dots on the kraft card base, stamped the medium polka dots on a black panel, and rounded the corners on both with a Corner Chomper. I glued the card suits in the corners, and tucked the fan of cards under each side of the teapot, which was raised on dimensional pop dots.

I am a huge Alice fan, so this challenge was so much fun, getting to incorporate Alice in a sketch and as a tea party inspiration. The prize for this week's challenge is a spot as the June guest designer on the Oh, Alice blog; wouldn't that be a Wonderland kind of dream? And the Shabby Tea Room prize is a wonderful paper and ribbon kit from the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.

Last, I am sharing it on Gingersnap's Mad Hatter Day post! Since it is sharing and not a challenge, that should be ok!

I hope you like my card!  Any other Alice fans out there?  Please leave a comment, I would LOVE to hear from you!

Stamps: Tea Party - Nature's Blessing; Papertrey Ink - Polka Dots 2; River City Rubber Works - Card Suits Cube; Fan of Cards - unknown; Teapot - Stampin' Up! Tea Time set
Paper: Papertrey Ink - kraft cardstock; Stampin' Up! - black cardstock; Beckett  Expression - Radience (white) cardstock
Ink: Memento - Tuxedo Black, Ladybug Red; Colorbox - pigment white; Copic Sketch Markers and SP Multiliner Pens
Embellishments: Red satin ribbon; Ranger clear detail embossing powder
Tools: We R Memory Keepers - Corner Chomper (¼ and ½ inch rounders); Stamp-a-ma-Jig - stamp positioner

18 comments:

  1. Oh my ... this is wonderful! I {heart} how you incorporated all the elements from the challenge into your design! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us all this week in the Tea Room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun card! Love that you used 2 sized/colors of dots -- fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! How creative and unique this is! Love the stamped image inside the teapot. Thanks for playing along with us at The Shabby Tea Room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card the image on the teapot is a wonderfull idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne,
    Great card but why the playing cards. Thought the object was Alice teaparty and polka dots.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne, your card is FANTASTIC! I LOVE the image inside the teapot and the way you colored it. The entire card looks wonderful. From the dotted background to the paper you used.
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such beautiful work...where does your inspiration come from... teacher2002nurse@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a work of art you have created here. I love the thoughtful design and the fabulous execution! I really think it should be in a frame!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! this is awesome! I LOVE how you put the tea party into the teapot :D Very Alice!
    LOVE IT!!
    Thanks for Joining us down the rabbit hole this week at Oh, Alice!
    Sammi
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, this is soooo fabulous! As you can tell, I'm a huge Alice fan too and really would love some of the traditional stamps. Your design is wonderful. Thanks for visiting my blog! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are just the person I needed to be in contact with! THANK YOU for your sweet comment on my blog- can you email me please? ;)

    Absolutely LOVE what you did w/ this beautiful card! SO clever and SO ALICE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, love that Alice Tea Cup image!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Lynne, this is amazing!!! No wonder you won the Guest DT spot!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab card! Just love your coloring and putting the tea party scene in a teapot is inspired!

    Thanks for helping us keep the Gingersnap Creations Mad Hatter Day Hop going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool! Using the Tea Party as the tea pot "decoration." Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that the image is in the form of a tea pot..so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty informative post on this tea party and hope you had great time there. Last month, I arranged my nephew’s birthday at one of elegant Los Angeles event venues and ordered a lovely birthday cake for him. Enjoyed this party very much.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, as your comments are what make blogging worthwhile! Click PREVIEW first, then hit POST. If you use Anonymous, please sign your name in the comment so I'll know who it was from!

Related Posts with Thumbnails