Monday, March 16, 2009

Chalk Ink Resist Technique and DIY Flower Embellishments!


I made the flower embellishments on this card - they are kind of different and they look really neat IRL as they have a lot of dimension. They are punched out of white fun foam, then colored with Copic markers and attached with brads!  Easy! 

This card is made with a chalk ink resist technique that is quick and fun and always produces "Wow" effects! Chalk Ink has very special behaviors on glossy paper. 


You will need chalk inkpads in light to dark colors, glossy coated paper like Kromekote, lots of tissues, and stamps with solid areas.  Your inkpads must be juicy for the best results - reink your pads if necessary. Remember to really shake up the chalk reinkers before using on your pads.

Begin by stamping your lightest color - I used gold.  Then polish off the glossy paper with a tissue.  It is like magic - the matte chalk disappears and the vivid ink color appears to be part of the glossy paper!  Stamp your next color, buff with tissue, and so on.  

Overlap the stamping so you can see how the colors intersect.  It was so hard to place the olive cardstock band as I didn't want to cover anything up!  You can see how the colors interact in the center, where the olive green overlaps the gold, and the gold shows through where it resists the subsequent color.  You can also see where I went out of order - I decided I wanted a little more gold in the upper left corner, and it doesn't interact at all when stamped over the darker red and blue.  Remember - light to dark!

After everything was assembled, I didn't like the straight edge, so I cut it with a decorative edge scissors.  Remember those?  ;-)  Then I sponged olive around the edges to highlight against the More Mustard cardstock.

Have you tried this technique?  I'd love to see your results - leave a link on your comment!

Details:
Stamps: PostModern Design cube
Ink: Colorbox Fluid Chalk ink pads, Copic markers
Paper: Kromekote glossy cardstock, Stampin' Up! More Mustard, Old Olive cardstock
Accessories & Tools: ribbon, brads, decorative scissors, MS arches border punch

1 comment:

  1. This turned out super! So bright and cheery - love the vivid color! ummm.... I like that punch too! lol!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, as your comments are what make blogging worthwhile! Click PREVIEW first, then hit POST. If you use Anonymous, please sign your name in the comment so I'll know who it was from!

Related Posts with Thumbnails