Sunday, October 9, 2011

A life without BOOKS...would kill me!

I am an avid reader. I have thousands of books; I am afraid to be more specific than that, lol! We moved all the time when I was a kid, and being quiet, chubby and wearing glasses pretty much ensured I was not at the top of any popularity list. Books were my friends, and they were friends who could come along with me no matter where we lived. When I found this quote by Heinrich Mann I knew I wanted to build an art journal page around it: "A house without books is like a room without windows."

Click to enlarge
I started by sealing the page in my 7x10 inch journal with gesso. Then I tore up book pages and decoupaged them onto the page with matte multi medium.  Then I scribbled Neocolor II watercolor crayons in various shades of green, but instead of activating them with water, I used more of the multi-medium. It worked like a dream and had the benefit of making the watercolor impervious to subsequent applications as it was now sealed with acrylic!  This allowed me to then paint in a brown path over the greeen without mixing the green into it. I used an ultra-fine Sharpie to sketch in cobblestones and clumps of grass.

Click to enlarge
Then I turned my attention to the sky. I scribbled in a sunrise sky with all different colors of watercolor crayons, then wet my brush with matte medium instead of water. I LOVE this technique. The medium is wet so it activates the watercolor, but it is like mixing up an acrylic glaze in all different colors right on the page! Heaven!  I stamped the quote with a little Studio G wooden letter stamp set that I found in the dollar bin at Michaels. I did not even try to keep them straight; I prefer the crooked look. I used black Stazon to ensure it would stick to the acrylic medium.

Click to enlarge

I love this set of Zettiology house stamps by Teesha Moore. Each one looks like it has its own story inside! I really like the way they all have faces and text inside. I stamped them with Versafine on cream cardstock and glued them down with the matte medium. It still needed something, so I added this tree with a leaf stencil by troweling gesso through the stencil using an old credit card. When it dried the white looked too stark, so I colored it with Copic markers! Love the way this turned out.

Click to enlarge
Supplies: (Note - if you are reading this in email or a reader, you may have to go to the blog to view the supplies; just click the title of this post.)
I would love to hear your comments on my page!  Thanks so much for stopping by.  I'll have a pretty incredible card to show you next time, back to my roots!

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous Lynne! I love that quote - I could not agree more! Nothing takes the place of a good book - no Kindle for me thanks. Love your page - it is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your page is so awe inspiring. As a former librarian, I truly love your quote. I am so inspired looking at you journal pages. I recently bought a journal, but it is still virginal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow a page with Zetti houses yeah...
    Stunning design Lynne. I love them. Really cool. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely page Lynne. I like not only the quote but also ¡Everything!. I like reading you because you explain very well all the process. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely page....and I couldn't agree with the sentiment more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Lynne! Oh how I love those clouds!!! The stamps are fab and I enjoyed reading about your process. You should tweet this to Susan @sharpie she will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great page Lynne, love love the quote and your paths leading to the houses and the sky is perfect, it all works so well together. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. aaaaccckkk!!! SOOOO true (a room w/out books..." LOVE that!!! very cool techniques too!!! thanks for sharing!! ;-)
    Cheryl (NOLA)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, as your comments are what make blogging worthwhile! Click PREVIEW first, then hit POST. If you use Anonymous, please sign your name in the comment so I'll know who it was from!

Related Posts with Thumbnails